Monday, February 2, 2009

The Idea

February 2, 2009

It is the beginning of a new month. Wiarton Willie has seen his shadow, so we will stay bundled up for six more weeks. I spent some time on the road today, prowled a new bookstore and went with my purchase to an adjoining cafe. Finding yet another book on organizing your home reminded me once again that although I vowed when I retired three and a half years ago (Can it really be that long?) that my number one priority would be to get myself organized and efficient, I am still sitting in an office crammed with papers and break into a sweat every time the doorbell rings.

As I drove home, I had this idea that maybe if I committed to you, my readers, to faithfully organize for the next month or so, and to be accountable by reporting my progress; maybe, just maybe, I would manage to tame the monster, or whoever it is that keeps messing up my home!
I am a creative person, sometimes too creative for my own good perhaps...but that's a whole other issue. “So,” I proposed to myself as I drove along, “if I can find a creative way to do this, maybe I will actually achieve my goal, have fun along the way, and still get to write, which I love,...and which, if truth be told, often draws me away from duller chores like housework. (Who needs tidy when one can escape into the wonderful world of the imagination?)”

As I waited in the lineup for the car wash, ( That's a first step, right?) my plan was finalized. I am embarking on a 35 day accrostic journey for the “CREATIVE CLEANSING OF MY CHAOTIC CLUTTER” (I do have a penchant for alliteration.) Perhaps you would like to journey with me. Check in each day to find out what the next letter of the title entails, and join in the fun. I hope you will share some of your own joys and successes by using the comment option...and, although I don't want to envision such a possibility, maybe you can encourage me to keep going if you sense I am falling off the rails.


So here we go: Day 1, letter C – CONTRACT.

I am contracting with you to make the most valiant attempt possible to embark on this creative cleansing of my chaotic clutter. I promise to keep you posted and to share any little tricks I learn along the way. I have a feeling we are going to have a good time, and come through at the end with happier households... or at least a better handle on managing our now calm and comfortable castles. Ready? Let's go.

Check in tomorrow for Day 2 – letter R

2 comments:

  1. This is a great idea.
    I'll be checking in each day to see how you are doing and I to will be cleansing my very chaotic clutter. When my house is messy my life feels messy so I'm going to follow your creative idea and work on my clutter also.
    Keep up the good work and Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for starting this, Helen. I too have a problem with clutter - mostly of the paper variety. I have been blogging about this sporadically at www.dysorganized.blogspot.com and look forward to reading your blog on a daily basis and joining you in your concerted efforts to get things under control!

    ReplyDelete