Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day 14 – letter S – SO . . .

Have you ever had one of those days, (or should I say weeks?) where life gets extremely busy and you feel like saying “So what!” to the whole idea of decluttering?

That was my space for the past couple of weeks. Supply teaching assignments, a sudden opportunity to speak to the local Kiwanis club about “Kid's Company”, my church's after school club, a push to finish my promotional bio sheets, some other opportunities to write, and a bit of personal “stuff” thrown into the mix....you get the picture. Decluttering was the farthest thing from my mind.

I did notice a few things, however, that give me hope.

Once you experience that sense of peace when you walk in the front door, being greeted by delicious open space rather than the “Oops, I forgot to put that away” sort of entryway; when you walk into the kitchen in your early morning daze, and no longer see last night's dishes drying in the rack, or worse still, waiting to be done; when you don't have that “Oh, no. I can't” feeling about inviting someone home on the spur of the moment; once you've experienced these things for long enough....even for the short time we've been working on this, you get to enjoy the freedom that decluttering brings. Like old Henry Higgins, you discover that you've “grown accustomed to that space...” Yes, I know, HE grew accustomed to her face, but WE, we can grow accustomed to that sense of freedom in our home. As Martha would say, “That's a good thing!”

Even though I was falling off the wagon, so to speak, on my decluttering mission, I kept having little spurts to keep the process going. For one thing, I started getting up earlier, even setting the dreaded alarm! Discipline in any area seems to have a habit of leaking into other areas of life. For that I am grateful. I found myself grabbing moments to do my “Boogie Fling” (see day 2) and felt proud of myself when I managed even that small step. Despite the craziness in other areas, I tried (and let me emphasize “tried”) to keep the areas I had already worked on up to snuff. If truth be told even the word “tried” is a bit of a stretch. At times in the past two weeks, I really let things slide.

“Why do I do this?” I ask myself. I don't know. But I do know that I don't like it!SO..... We come back to the question, “What do we do when we fall off the wagon?”

Yesterday I decided to tackle my office closet. Like a mausoleum stacked with cardboard coffins, it holds the remains of my career. I pulled out one and cracked open the lid. Things I will use at Kid's Company are now neatly stored in folders in my new Kid's Company filing system. Things that I have no idea why I kept are safely esconced in the garbage. (That felt good!) Things I will try to sell, and if not will give away, are in their own small box and are NOT allowed back into the closet! As I sit here typing, I can look over and see a little bit of closet floor smiling at me as that area begins to come to life again. The rest of the office....that's for another day, maybe even today if I stop writing and get back to the project!

Something that helps me to get back on track is accountability. I told you, my readers, that I was going to do this. I have a few good friends who will ask, “How's it coming, Helen? I haven't seen a Blog entry lately.” Even though sometimes I wish they weren't quite so supportive, it does help. I would encourage you to tell a couple of friends what it is you are trying to do. Share your successes. Ask them to hold you accountable. If you are anything like me, it is just too easy to give up. We need emotional support, so don't be shy; ask for it.

I think this entry has reached the point of procrastination, so I will wish you a good day and go out to inspect the damage... no, to bask in the successes. Enjoy your day, and remember to stay grateful for small steps!

3 comments:

  1. Helen, my favourite line in this post is about your office closet: "a mausoleum stacked with cardboard coffins, it holds the remains of my career." Great stuff!

    You're right, that bit of positive reinforcement after some successful days helps get us moving again after some missed days. Keep pressing on! You're reclaiming territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I haven't visited this blog in several days, nor have I been doing any decluttering. I checked back in to get some encouragement, and it looks like you could use some as well, since there hasn't been an entry posted since Feb 28. Tomorrow I plan to tackle my office and the playroom/junk room/former classroom (I homeschooled for three years). Pray that I'll be brutal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Joanna and Susan for your encouraging comments. I am back at it, along with all the other things I am tackling. See day 16.

    ReplyDelete