Friday, February 13, 2009

Day 10 – Letter L – LOVE AFFAIR

How appropriate for Valentine's Day. But this is not a love affair of the romantic sort. This is a love affair with things. I think it is a malady of the times. We love our things. I watched a movie last week-end called Love Comes Softly, a romance in a pioneer setting. At one point the little girl, who is quite the tomboy, says to the woman in the story, “ I don't see why you need so many dresses. You can only wear one at a time!” A cute line...but with some truth attached.

No, I am not bundling up all my clothes and sending them to the Thrift shop, but I do need to open my eyes to look and see how many possessions I have. Our western world is crazy for possessions; and although I live reasonably simply, I too have fallen into the trap of being a collector of things.

This culling we're doing is good. It is cathartic. As one more shelf is tidied, one more file emptied, one more bag in the trash, there comes a sense of lightness, of freedom. Are you beginning to feel it? I am a long, long way from having my office as I would like it, but in my hour today I made more inroads. I have to keep reminding myself, this stuff did not arrive in a day; it will take more than a day to deal with it. It gets discouraging at times because it takes so long. Perhaps a change of pace is in order. Stay tuned for tomorrow's shake-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment