Thursday, February 19, 2009

Day 13 – Letter N – New Ideas

On coming home from work today, I decided to watch a little TV. Oprah was on, and what do you suppose her theme is this week. You guessed it – decluttering! I decided to pass along some of the ideas that I found helpful.

There is a connection between what your house is like, and what your life is like. Does your house tell you that your life is cluttered and disorganized? Decluttering your house will actually help you to improve your life.

The speaker mentioned that it is important to think through what you want from your living space. Knowing that, will help you to know what to keep and what to throw away or donate. That was a new thought for me, an interesting thought. As I ponder what I would like my home to be, the words that come to mind are such things as peace, beauty, freedom, a sense of comfort and ease, a thoughtful ambiance. Perhaps to attain that I need to clear my shelves and only have a few carefully chosen items on display. Those scraggly- looking plants that I am trying to overwinter ...they certainly do not add to the atmosphere! And the collections that I started, when I am really NOT a collector....what is that about? Get rid of them, Helen.

He suggested that one must set strict limits as to what you allow in your office and desk area. I already knew that! It is how to achieve it and keep it that way that is my challenge. Joking aside, it is a good piece of advice. What am I going to allow in the office? Just my materials for my writing? Or am I also going to use it as my bill and records centre? That makes sense since I make my payments on line. But what about the closet full of materials left over from my teaching days? They need to go! My books...yes, I think they will stay, but after I clear the unwanted items, I will have a better idea as to whether this is the right place for them.

He suggested using the same approach in other areas, like the closets, the kitchen, the bedroom. I could add the cellar, the laundry room...you get the picture. As you work through each area, set a limit as to what you will allow to be there! For some of us it would be encouraging to know that he had his client decide what she could sell, and what to just donate, or pitch. A little extra cash never hurts, and if it provides incentive for you, then go for it!

The last idea that caught my attention was his question, “Does your house say that you don't care about what you own?” When you spend money on something, you should value it, and therefore take care of it. Otherwise, why buy it? Save your money! If it is lying around, guess what? Maybe you don't think enough of it to keep it. If you do, then pick it up and put it away in a place that shows it is important. Here he was not talking about precious items, but clothing. Are your clothes neatly folded or hung in their spot? ...a thought for me to remember on those nights when I come home tired and just want to crash.

Thank you, Oprah and friends, for providing these new insights in the quest for peace and order in the home. This week on www.Oprah.com there is a program you can sign up for, Oprah's Clean Up Your Messy House Tour. You will find the things I have been sharing and a lot more.

Remember to keep smiling, and enjoy the ride!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Helen. The speaker was Peter Walsh, author of Enough already! : clearing mental clutter to become the best you, and Does this clutter make my butt look fat? : an easy plan for losing weight and living more.

    If you have any owl-themed items to pass along from your non-collection, I'll be happy to take them off your hands! :)

    ReplyDelete