Saturday, February 14, 2009

Day 11 – Letter E – ESCALATE!

Yesterday I mentioned that I wanted to shake things up a bit today. To be honest, I was starting to get bored with the process, and for me that it not a good sign. It means I am going to be tempted to give up.

I woke up thinking, “I have to do something where I will see more progress.” Dealing with papers is good, but it takes a long time, and well, one can get bored of making progress by inches, so to speak.

With the big Give Away box in hand, I headed to the kitchen. The use of my shelves to house my family heirloom china has still been weighing on me. What could be done? I actually started with another cupboard, the one where I keep my everyday dishes.

You may remember that my house was built in 1870. I think the kitchen cupboards may be the originals! That is probably an exaggeration, but they certainly are not new. They are like old farmhouse cupboards; big, solid, and with unmoveable shelves, with a LOT of space between them. How could I make better use of the space and still have things accessible? Home Hardware had just what I needed. With one of those rubbermaid stacking units for dishes, and a stacking corner unit for my glassware, all for the enormous outlay of about $12, everything I use regularly is now on ONE shelf, and two shelves have been opened up to house items that free up space in my storage unit.

Exciting! Now there is an E word. This escalation of the attack was just what I needed. I can see my progress, and once more I am keen to carry on. After all, I still have my fancy dishes taking up too much space, and my storage area needs to be more efficient, and there are all those other cupboards still to be culled (farm kitchen, remember?), and,...and, ......and ....... You get the picture. My enthusiasm has returned.

So if you get bored, just remember an escalation to an area that will show faster progress can be a good diversion to get you back on track. Keep flinging! Happy cleaning! Take tomorrow off as a day for you. Monday comes soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment